28 Things to Do When You are Are Not Busy
That Will Help You Grow Your Business and Build Momentum for the Future
Get More Organized – Financially
- Move all 2022 tax-related files, check registers and statements, paid bills and other financial information to one place (such as a file drawer) to make room for 2023 files.
- Start a 2022 tax file for the various 1099’s and other tax documents that are about to arrive.
- Summarize your 2022 income and expense information by category to give to your accountant for tax preparation.
- Prepare 1099-NEC forms for subcontractors to whom you paid $600. or more in 2022 or give the information to your accountant so he/she can prepare the forms (due at the end of January).
- Pay fourth quarter 2022 estimated taxes that were due January 17th.
- Set up new files for 2023. Examples: receipts for cash expenditures, paid bills, auto expenses, etc.
- Purge old business and tax files. Check with your accountant to see how long you need to keep the information. Usually six years are sufficient. You can also Google “record retention” and find the IRS regulations.
Organize Your Office Space
- Take everything off your desk. Clean the desk and only put back the items that you actually use. Do the same with your cabinets, drawers and bookshelves.
- Purge your files, both paper and computer. Throw out, shred and/or delete!
Update Your Systems and Learn New Technology
- Review your CRM. Add recent clients, as well as attorneys, loan officers, home inspectors and other professionals. Update addresses, emails, phone numbers, birthday and anniversary dates, and anniversary dates of property closings.
- Look into changing to a new, better CRM, if appropriate, as well as other real estate-specific systems.
- Learn to use all of the technology and marketing assistance available at your company.
Get in Touch with Past Clients
- Review the CMAs that you’ve done in the past 24 months to see if there are listing opportunities. Contact all buyers and provide them with the most recent market information for their properties as well as a general market update. An in-person meeting is a great way to stay in touch and continue to provide value.
Create a Client and Customer Contact Program
- Make time each day to call or meet with former clients, customers and referral sources to generate business. Make five calls a day; send three texts; mail three handwritten notes or cards.
- Send handwritten notes or cards to buyers on the anniversaries of their property closings.
- Create a holiday contact program for emailings and greeting card mailings. These could include Valentine’s Day, Happy Spring, Happy Fourth of July, etc. Choose small gifts to be sent to your top referral sources on these holidays.
- Create a plan to send seasonal email reminders of home maintenance tasks to be performed monthly or quarterly.
Expand Your Sphere of Influence
- Research and sign up for a lifelong learning class on a subject you are interested in, such as art appreciation, financial planning, cooking, photography or negotiation skills. This is a great way to meet new people and to expand your sphere.
- Research local community groups and nonprofits. Decide on one(s) you want to support and look into joining the board of directors, if possible.
Research Professional Continuing Education Courses
- Look into getting (another) real estate designation from your local or state association of Realtors or the National Association of Realtors.
Update Your Marketing Materials
- Review and update all of your marketing materials, including your website, your postcard templates and your listing presentations. Rewrite your bio, if necessary, and get a new headshot if yours is more than a few years old. Update your bio and photo on your agency’s website as well as on LinkedIn, Instagram and elsewhere.
Expand Your Social Media Presence
- Create a 2023 social media content calendar for Facebook, Instagram and other platforms. Make sure to post community-related events and personal pieces in addition to postings about your listings, general market conditions and your rankings.
- Take an online course on social media marketing.
- Learn to create your own videos. Practice! Practice! Practice!
- Begin an exercise program.
- Learn to cook healthy meals.
- Book monthly massages.
- Get more sleep!
I hope you will choose a number of these things to do to grow your business during this slow (for some!) time in the market.
I have created a business plan template for 2023, based on the exercises in Beyond the Sale—for Real Estate Agents. Contact me if you would like a copy. The feedback has been great. It’s fun and easy to complete.
If it’s time for a change; if you want to try something new but aren’t exactly sure what that is; if you want a new perspective and support to make 2023 a big success, contact me. Together we can make 2023 your best year—ever! By the way, I’m not a “cookie cutter” coach. I’m a master coach, and I offer personalized coaching. Call or email me to see if we are a perfect fit.